Photo of my and signup.

Photo of my and signup.
If you want to subscribe to follow me via Mail Chimp, the signup is in my sidebar or at the bottom of my posts.

Sunday, October 27, 2013

HOLIDAY PLANNER TUTORIAL (KIND OF).

I saw the cutest Holiday Planner a few months ago on someone's blog, and I immediately pinned it to my Pinterest Board, with the plan that I would make one for me, before Christmas.

Well, I have procrastinated long enough! I have had so many re-pins from my Pinterest board, that I thought I'd finally make one myself, since everyone loved it so much! There is proof in the numbers right? I think it will make cute Christmas gifts for my family, and I might even make some to put in my Etsy shop.

I used some of my ancient Christmas papers that I bought several years ago. This was my "practice" planner!
I didn't plan on this being a tutorial when I took the pictures, so I didn't get pictures of the beginning stages (folding) or the process of making this.  But................ the folding part is the most important so I used another folder I had and put together a little collage (below) of the folding process.  

You use one of those inexpensive school folders with a pocket on each side on the inside, made of heavy weight paper. The blue folder that I used for my planner had those 3 brad-type clips inside so a person could put 3-holed documents in it, but I took that out, so if you can't find a folder without them, they are easy to remove.  I think you can get these at Wal-Mart or Michael's. 

The planner that I pinned to my Christmas Pinterest board, which was from The Stamp Doc, used a white folder which I really like, but so far, I haven't found any white ones where I've looked.  I like the white background because there is no colored background strip on the sides and it looks more uniform to have it all white. I covered the white parts up on this planner, but it was kind of alot of extra work.


Folding instructions:  (read from top left to right on the 1st, row, then left to right on the 2nd row, then left to right on the third row).

1.  Plain folder laid flat.
2.  Opened folder laid flat.
3.  Fold right edge to middle crease.
4.  Fold left edge to middle crease.
5.  Pick up middle crease to form a tent.
6.  Fold both outside edges down and in, making what you see in the photo 6. You now have your folder with the "binding" edge on the left.
7.  If you let it go, it looks like this - 4 pages with pockets at the bottom of each page.
8.  Opening up to show first two pages.
9.  I cut 3" off the top rather than leaving it so tall. The final size is about 4-1/2" x 9".  If you don't cut off the top 3", the finished size is about 4-1/2" x 12".  I wanted a size that would fit in my purse to carry with me.

Are you with me so far???? The folding is really easy and quick. I mean it literally takes less than a minute.

Now I will show some pictures of each section. Mostly, you just cover the front and back with a matted piece of cardstock. Just measure each section as it may vary depending on what brand of folder you use.


Here's a close-up of the front. I matted with a red polka dot and left some of the blue folder showing. I used a few buttons I had.  I cut the scalloped square with my cricut, as well as the white square. I printed the title on my computer onto the white cardstock and then cut it out with the cricut. You could use a square punch. I used Word to make my title. If you want, you could hand-print the title or use an alphabet stamp set.

Cover each side on the top of the inside pages with coordinating papers. I matted the pieces on the pockets, but not above. The pieces above go down inside the pocket about 2". You can see where I glued strips on the top part, in the middle and on the white edge to cover the white on the side and the white in the center.

The fun part is what you put inside! Each pocket holds some "lists" of several choices. I used one for calendars, one for gift ideas and one for Christmas cards.  I'll show you below where to get these lists off the internet.







Above are the last two pockets. One holds my Christmas card list and the last pocket holds two envelopes for receipts.  I used a #10 envelope (sealed) and cut off the top for one, and a smaller envelope for the other. I glued a piece of decorative paper on the top of each envelope and stamped the word "receipts" with my alphabet stamp set. You could use one envelope for your gift cards or coupons.

I used Scotch Quick Drying Tacky Glue for adhering all of my papers. That way, I know it will hold up to handling and putting in my purse. I love it because it is easy and fast, and is flexible even after it dries.



Here are the calendars for October, November and December. I adhered each list to a piece of red cardstock about 4" x 8-1/2" and used a brad in the upper left corner to hold it. That way the paper can swing open.





 
Here's the back of the planner. I just put one piece of cardstock on it. The ribbon is loose and runs around to the front of the planner, underneath the title tag.

Below, is the title tag on the front. I popped it up with 3D foam tape so that the ribbon runs under it and ties on the side. The ribbon is entirely loose. I made a little "tunnel" for the ribbon using the 3D foam tape squares.
 

I put the link for The Stamp Doc above, where I found this planner.  If you go to her blog, under her video tutorials, she has a video on making this planner which is really nice.

I also found a similar planner on You Tube, using manilla file folders!  This is also a good idea, as it may be easier to find white file folders, or you can probably find them online. The file folder planner uses a little more folding to form the pockets.  That video is  HERE.

For the lists inside, you can go to Organized Home under Organized Christmas, and print out all sorts of neat lists.  I love them. You could maybe put a set of lists on the back of the cardstock that you slip in and out of the planner, as I think there is plenty of thickness.


I hope this tutorial inspires you to make some of these darling little planners! Every year, I've had lists all over the place, stuck in my purse, a drawer, by my Christmas cards, etc., and I hope this sweet little planner will keep me better organized (at least to where I can FIND my lists!).

Let me know if you have any questions.  And I WILL be putting some more of these in my Etsy shop (soon).


 

No comments:

Post a Comment