Photo of my and signup.

Photo of my and signup.
If you want to subscribe to follow me via Mail Chimp, the signup is in my sidebar or at the bottom of my posts.

Tuesday, March 5, 2013

FUN WITH FABRIC AND CANVAS.

I've been so excited to play with the CHANTILLY papers and coordinating fabric! Here's my first project using canvas board, Mod Podge and coordinating fabric.  HINT, HINT, can you tell I like pink?????

LITTLE 5X7 WALL HANGING ON CANVAS PANEL.
Here's how I made this sweet little thing:  

I first painted the canvas board with pink acrylic paint (used for ceramics, etc.). I only painted about 1 inch in from the edges and around the sides.

Then I spread Mod Podge all over the board and used the Chantilly B&T paper in strips on the top and bottom.  In the middle, I put a strip of the pink B&T print from Chantilly, which I tore on the top and bottom edges.  I mod podged those down.

Next I adhered to a piece of the DAKOTA wood grain B&T, a cream card stock tag backed by a larger tag of another B&T of the Chantilly papers. I used my Cricut to cut the pretty tags. I also stamped around the edges of the wood grain with some little scrolls.

Before I stamped on the cream tag, I used Hollyhock CTMH Exclusive Ink ink and did some 2nd generation stamping of some flowers from one of the retired CTMH stamp sets.  Then I stamped in Staz On Black the wonderful saying from the CTMH February Stamp of the Month, Home Sweet Home.  

YOU MUST USE STAZ ON INK on anything you are stamping when using decoupage medium. Otherwise, the dye and pigment inks will smear.  (Although, I did use regular dye ink for the pink flowers on the tag and since it's a light color, you can't notice any smearing.)

I laid down some little scallops behind the Dakota paper, that I had left over from another project (using Dotty papers), adhering them with some of the Mod Podge. Then I mod podged over the entire board again and adhered the wood grain paper and tag and covered everything really well with the Mod Podge.  When it was all dry, (with the help of my heat gun), I stamped some little black flowers and the scroll at the bottom, using black Staz On ink.

Next I used a fine tipped Sharpie marker and made little stitch marks around the edge. No measuring, I just eyed it.

STITCH MARKS WITH A SHARPIE PEN.. AND ADDED SOME GEMS ALONG THE TOP.  I adhered the ribbon on the top for hanging with Liquid Glass.
I LOVE LOVE LOVE paper Rosettes (or yo yos) so I made two different sizes using the beautiful Chantilly B&T, one was the bright flowers and birds and the other the muted pink print.  I have perfected an EASY QUICK WAY to make the Rosettes, so if you want to know how, email me or make a comment here. I smudged the edges of both with some gray ink and I also smudged the cream tag with gray ink.  It gives it such a nice vintage, shabby look.

DARLING ROSETTES WITH BUTTONS ON TOP.  Adhered to the board with my handy dandy glue gun.
And for the GRAND FINALE.................... I used some of our darling coordinating Chantilly fabric to make the ruffle for the bottom!  I love it!  I just used a strip about twice as wide as the board (about 10 inches) and cut it 3 inches wide.  I folded it in half the long way and ironed a nice crisp fold.  

And I must admit, I did use a needle and thread!  I made a big running stitch along the rough edge using double thread, and then pulled it up to gather it and knotted the end so that it was the size of the bottom edge of the board.  This was VERY FAST AND EASY.  I didn't even iron it again. I just used my handy dandy old wooden paint roller (purchased for $2 at a second hand store) to kind of roll over the entire ruffle so it would lay flat. It works almost as good as a hot iron!  Love it!


MY HANDY DANDY WOOD ROLLER.  WAS USED FOR WALLPAPER SEAMS, BUT I WAS TOLD BY A FRIEND/QUILTER THAT IT WORKS ALMOST AS GOOD AS AN IRON, AND IT DOES!  I couldn't find it at any stores, so had to look for it at a second hand store. Don't know if they are made anymore.



I then laid a strip of Tombo adhesive along the bottom of the board on the back, stuck the fabric down, and got it nice and even.   Once it was the way I liked it, I cut a piece of scrap grosgrain ribbon, put our Liquid Glass on the back, and laid it down over the rough edge of the ruffle, pressing firmly for about 30 second.  The heat gun works great to dry Liquid Glass and I used it to set the ribbon!

(ON A NOTE:  I made another one of these canvas boards for practice (using "other" scrap papers and fabric) and for it, I didn't sew the ruffle.  Instead, I laid down the heavy duty score tape along the bottom edge of the board, and kind of pleated the fabric to make a ruffle.  It worked OK, but was kind of slow going.)



BACK SIDE: GROSGRAIN RIBBON WITH LIQUID GLASS PRESSED OVER THE ROUGH EDGE OF THE RUFFLE, HOLDS IT DOWN WONDERFULLY!
I love the look of the decoupage, which you really can't see in the photos, but it gives the final product a nice satin sheen.

And there you have it!  My first project using our CTMH fabric!  The fabric is so crisp and nice, and I love how the edges are all "pinked" to keep it from raveling.  

I'm working on another project as I speak, so will post it once it's done.

HOPE YOU HAVE SOME FUN WITH FABRIC!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment