Photo of my and signup.

Photo of my and signup.
If you want to subscribe to follow me via Mail Chimp, the signup is in my sidebar or at the bottom of my posts.

Monday, March 11, 2024

Arrival at new home

And the move began........... on February 6th

I said goodbye to my house of 8+ years..... was kind of hard to believe I was saying goodbye. 







My husband and I had thought it would be our "forever" home. I thought it would be either of our forever homes, once the other one passed. But with time, I realized it was not a safe home for an older person, and just too big to handle. It had a super steep driveway, uneven rock steps with no railing, and weird angled steps up to the front door. Not safe, as I can attest to when I fell in November of 2022! (on the steep driveway on black ice). Although the yard was a small lot (5,000 sq feet), it seemed huge to me!

I was in such a dither on the day of the move, I forgot to take pictures of loading up the moving van! I hired a moving company, and they had to hire the UHaul themselves. It worked fine and they were fast and efficient! I had planned to just pay a few guys who were friends of friends, etc., and rent the Uhaul myself, but it was HARD finding anyone who wanted to do it. That's why I ended up using a company.

Here are photos of the 840 sq foot mobile home on the day I first looked at it back in November. It was a dark rainy day, and the pictures look a little dreary, but I really liked the layout, the bay windows in the kitchen, the large new shower, and the new wood floors and wood blinds. It actually had a decent sized 2nd bedroom which I liked alot, and a nice large covered deck. I also liked that it was in a 55+ mobile home park out in the country.



COLOR ALERT! I did NOT like the color of the kitchen cupboards! Painting those is one of the first things on my "to do" list, once I get boxes unpacked!

Shiny new stainless fridge - love that!


View out of my bedroom window which I loved!


Looking from living room towards the kitchen. Along that right wall will be my crafting area.


From realtor website - it is gray now!


My arrival! There is my Van.. it made the trip with me!

I think I was more excited to see this neat big shed built onto the home, with lots of cubbies to store things! Not having a garage or even a carport, I knew I'd need every bit of this space. There is also a 10x10 shed out in the back. Notice that the yard is all gravel! Not sure I like that, but it can be changed.


I remembered to take pictures, once the truck was almost unloaded!



We got to Astoria in the dark.. it was a good 5 hour drive. I drove my Van... my son and fiance had come to help, so she drove my car back, and he drove his truck back, which was full of most of my outdoor furniture and misc. things (forgot to take a picture!). We were so blessed to have a nice day for the move, with sunshine and no rain or snow! It had been weeks since we'd had a nice day like that and I had been praying for moving day to NOT be full of snowy and icy roads.

Move in night - kitchen was FULL of boxes!

Even though I had all the boxes labeled in detail, it was still a nightmare to try to find things!


My dining table was buried for weeks!

I made a spot for the kitties to lay on my coffee table.


My bedroom closet. 

I had given up my king bed in Madras, as I knew it would be too big for my bedroom here. I slept there on the floor for a good week, then slept here on the floor for at least 3 weeks, until I bought myself a new double bed.

My bed at the Madras house!


My bed here..... finally got my new bed after about 3 weeks. I was READY to get up off the floor!

Views from my kitchen windows, these are all huge cedar trees!



I did downsize, that's for sure. Going from a 3 bedroom, 2 bath home, with a nice big yard and a single car garage, to a 2 bedroom, 1 bathroom, single wide mobile home, in a park, is quite a change!

But.. this is what I wanted, and I've realized my dream of living closer to my son (16 miles apart), in a climate that is green and lush, with the mighty Columbia River 1 mile away, and creeks and rivers close by, deep woods all around me, the sounds of rain pattering on my roof, and the ocean only 20 miles away! 

Here is the Bible scripture that helped me make the decision to move:

12 Hope deferred makes the heart sick, but a longing fulfilled is a tree of life.
I count my Blessings.

Until next time...... 

Marilyn




ALL CONTENT © PINK PAPER COTTAGE.
PLEASE DO NOT COPY MY PHOTOS AND IMAGES INTO YOUR OWN POSTS WITHOUT FIRST LINKING TO THIS BLOG AND MY NAME.

13 comments:

  1. Marilyn, I am so happy for you. That view from the bedroom would have sold me. It sounds like you will now be safe and happier being closer to your family. I like the layout of your new space. Our daughter bought a mobile home when she first moved out of our home and we fixed it up for her. Painted all the cupboards and paneling and new floors, etc. It turned into the sweetest little cottage. I loved it. It must seem overwhelming right now but it will all be worth it..Happy Monday xxoJudy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes.. a mobile home can be very cozy indeed! I've lived in two other smaller ones, single wides, and I loved both of them. That view from the bedroom DID sell me! The first time I looked at it, it was sunny out (for a few moments) and the view just stunned me.. I could not believe I'd get to live somewhere to have this view and not of a neighboring house 5 feet from me! This place WILL become my sweet little cottage.. will take work and vision, but I'll get there! Marilyn

      Delete
    2. Marilyn, this is just a test comment. I have been showing up as anonymous on everyone's blog as well as mine too. I think I figured it out so am just using you as a test.xxoJudy

      Delete
  2. This is awesome. You have plenty of space for you and your fur babies. You will have this place so pretty and feeling like home in no time. I wish I lived closer I would help you paint those cabinet lol! Take it one day at a time. When I moved I would take it one room at a time so I did not feel overwhelmed. Good Luck in your new home. Hugs. Kris

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Kris, I wish you could paint my cabinets! I'm don't like painting very much, so it's like pulling teeth to get me to get all the stuff out for the job. And I'm intimidated by cabinets and what I should use, and do I take the doors off, etc.??? I've watched youtube videos but it still intimidates me! That will indeed be an accomplishment if I do in fact get them done! Hugs.. Marilyn

      Delete
  3. Wow! What a lovely post. I hate that you had to sleep on the floor that long. I fell last week on a walk, didn't hurt myself that bad, the hardest part was getting back up with no railing or no furniture pull myself up with. I can't imagine early in the morning getting up off the floor. Oh! Or all the many times I get up in the night to use the bathroom, LOL.
    I am so happy for you. I know you've been wanting to be closer to your son for a long time and longing for the weather closer to the coast. Have fun unpacking and make it an adventure. This is your own little nest so make it as comfy and cozy and bright and cheery as you'd like. Let it reflect your lovely personality.
    God bless you,
    You're blogging sister Connie:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Connie I'm so sorry you fell! Glad you didn't crack a bone like I did a year ago. I'm still paying for it.. have pain but not as bad as it was and I just try to tolerate it for the most part. And yes.. it was hard to get up in the mornings, from the floor! Especially with all the moving and my back very sore.. also my hip started acting up! But it's done and the worst of the heaving lifting is over.
      It'll take some time to get my "nest" the way I want it. but it's fun doing the things to make it my own, and fixing things the way I want them. it's already feeling cozy, now that I got carpets in! (post to come!)... Hugs.. Marilyn

      Delete
  4. I'm so glad you got it all moved and are settling in with your kitties. Green is always good!!! Sounds like a lovely place to call home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it's been an adjustment for my kitties. They all grew up in the dry climate of Madras, Oregon, and are afraid to go outside here! I realized today when I got my one female to go out, that it was the wind in the trees that scared her! That sound is something they did not hear where I lived before (very few trees). The smells are all different too, as it's so much damper here. they'll get used to it eventually... Marilyn

      Delete
  5. Oh Marilyn - how I enjoyed these pictures, and hearing how the Lord gave you a scripture to carry you through all the difficult days before reaching your destination, your new home in the country! There are always trade-offs in every move, it seems, and after a while, you are just thankful. Your old home served you well, but it was time for you to move on! I look forward to all the new adventures you are going to have with your new home!!!! Yes, I would definitely paint those cabinets, and I'm wondering about the carpet in the kitchen area too - linoleum is so much easier to deal with. You will have it looking amazing before long!!! Blessings to you dear friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marilyn, I'm still amazed I came across that scripture! I was so undecided as to whether I should or shouldn't move! That scripture decided it for me, right then and there. From that point, I moved forward to get my house ready and listed, and started looking for my new home in earnest! There IS linoleum in the kitchen, so I'm glad for that. All the other floors are wood (or faux wood) and I just got two biggish area rugs down, one in the living room and one in my bedroom. It makes a big difference in the coziness factor! Thank you for all your prayers! Marilyn

      Delete
  6. I’m so happy for you. I think it is so important for you to be near your son. I know you will enjoy this new area of the country. Take good care of yourself, anf fix your place up so that it fits just you.😀 Linda T

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Linda.... I'm so happy to be near to my son now. It's such a good and complete feeling. Marilyn

      Delete