Photo of my and signup.

Photo of my and signup.
If you want to subscribe to follow me via Mail Chimp, the signup is in my sidebar or at the bottom of my posts.

Friday, May 11, 2018

Interlude............

I think my "sewing roll" is done! Sorry to say.... maybe I'll get back to it one day (soon I hope).

In the meantime, I've been busy with company and play. My son and his fiance came for a visit from Astoria, OR to our house the last weekend of April. What a joy to be able to give my big "boy" (age 39) a big hug!


Can never get too many hugs!

Their favorite place to go is the Richardson Rock Ranch here north of Madras. My son's fiance, Terra, has a rock, gem and jewelry store in Astoria, OR called Terra Stones. So of course, they both LOVE to go rock hounding!  And Richardson Ranch is THE place to go for Thunder Eggs. They also have exotic rocks from all over the world. It was a fun day of enjoying rocks (who would have thunk?) and a nice picnic.

The countryside and "ranch" are beautiful, and it being Spring still, everything is still green.


This is one HUGE Oregon agate!

Piles and PILES of rocks everywhere...... they are sold by the lb. and most of the piles have the types of rocks/gems (in the rough) these are, and what part of the world they come from.


We didn't do the actual "rockhounding" where you drive out away from the main store (about 8 miles into the countryside) and actually DIG for Thunder Eggs. My son and Terra have done that before and they love it. Me... not so much. I'd rather look here and go into the store to see the finished products, which have been cut and polished.

This ranch has been around for many many years, originally as a cattle ranch, and then after the Thunder Egg beds were discovered, the owners and family, have turned it into a rock hounders' paradise. Over 60% of the Thunder Eggs sold around the world, originate from this ranch!

Watch this 5 minute video if you're interested in finding out more and seeing people digging for the "eggs".  Grant's Getaways Visits Richardson Ranch.

Some of my favorites:

Chrysocolla from Morocco.

Mookaite from Australia.
Lavender quartz from Madagascar.
Of course, I LOVE the rose quartz, which is pink! I bought a tiny rose quartz "apple" to match a larger apple I bought last year (but now can't remember the name of the gem).. for my pink and green bedroom.
Raw piece of the Rose Quartz that my son gave me for my last birthday.
 




Here, a big cylinder piece has been cut out of this rock. The inside of it is GORGEOUS but now can't remember the name of it. It would make a beautiful fountain! There were smaller rocks all around that had the cylinder cut out. I'm not sure what they're used for but sure was unique.

There are two HUGE rooms inside the store with rocks and gems that have been cut and polished... many many agates, small animals and figures carved from the different stones, jewelry, polished Thunder Eggs, crystals, and much much more!






LOVED this peach colored stone (below), but now can't remember its name. I can imagine how beautiful it would be all polished. All around the piles of rocks, there are water bottles, so you can spray the rocks to give you an idea of how they would look after being polished. 


I saw this last year before we had painted our house, and thought to myself..... hum.m.m.. I want my house this color!
 Well......we came close in color!


Another favorite:

WOW was this stunning!


One other small excursion:

As my son and Terra left to go home, we followed them up to The Dalles, OR which is about 90 miles north of us. They were stopping to see my son's dad (my ex). Hubby and I were invited to dinner there (yes, we are all sort of friends!).....  their backyard was absolutely envious....... huge 20 foot tall lilac bushes and a stunning pink flowering tree in the front (dogwood?). I was in Heaven.



On the way home, the moon was just coming up from behind the sagebrush covered hills and it was enormous and yellow/orange, but I couldn't get hubby to pull over in time to get a picture of it in that state. We finally pulled over but by then, it was too far up in the sky and just "normal" looking. Oh I wish I could have taken a picture of it when it was in all its glory!


Have a nice weekend everyone. It's been warmer here so I've been planting a few things and trying to spruce up our yard. I'll show you in another post. Still SO MUCH to do!

~Marilyn~


14 comments:

  1. WOW. I love looking at all those stones. The pink apple is so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Betty! I do love that sweet little pink apple too! Marilyn

      Delete
  2. Looks like you had a great time and the rocks are gorgeous. Have a great Mom's Day. Enjoy celebrating the wonderful mom you are.
    xoxo
    Kris

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kris. I did have a really nice Mother's Day. I know you are on your trip now and hope you are having a great time with your family. And yes.. the rock gardens are fun.. but I'm more than happy to only go there once a year! My son and his fiance love it way more than I do, but that's OK. At least they are both "in sync" with it! xoxoo Marilyn

      Delete
  3. I remember you mentioning your son and his fiancé enjoy rock hunting. I can see why! These are gorgeous! But I’m with you Marilyn...I wouldn’t want to dig for them either lol.

    I especially like the rocks that have movement to them, and yes, that large one would make an awesome fountain. Should I give you my address ��

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hee Hee Doreen! Yes... wouldn't that be an amazing fountain? It was taller than me and the other side had a ledge on it.. so would make a gorgeous waterfall on that side. A girl can dream can't she????????? Hope all is well... Marilyn

      Delete
  4. Marilyn, sounds like you had a great Mother's Day with your son. All those rocks are gorgeous and fascinating. What I wouldn't give for that lilac bush and the dogwoods. Just beautiful..Thanks for your visit as always and Happy Tuesday..xxoJudy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Judy.... yes I had a nice Mother's Day and see that you did too! That rock garden is neat but I'm happy to only make the trip there once a year. My son's fiance said she would go once a month if she could! She's very passionate about rock and gems and where they come from, and I say kudos to her! Her store in Astoria, OR does very well. Happy Sunday! xoxoxo Marilyn

      Delete
  5. What a fun visit - and a wonderful tour for us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carrie, glad you liked the tour. It was fun showing everyone all the neat raw rocks that could turn into something unique and beautiful. Each one is definitely very unique and no two are the same. Happy Sunday! Marilyn

      Delete
  6. Wow, those are some pretty amazing rocks. Glad you had such a nice day. xo Laura

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Laura.. yes those rocks are pretty neat, but I'm happy to only go once a year! My son and his fiance would love to go every month, but they live 5 hours away! She is very passionate about the rocks and gems, and that is how she makes her living - her store in Astoria, OR does very well. Take care.... Marilyn

      Delete
  7. Hi Marilyn, I just found your interesting blog thanks to a kind and thoughtful comment you left on mine. What an neat place the Rock Ranch is! My goodness, I may have to make it a destination road trip. :-) Love the thunder eggs. Especially like the blue Tumbled Lapis … a what a reasonable price to boot! Enjoyed all your photos. Thanks for all your kind words about the ships, skies, postcards, mountains, and trains. Hope to see you at John’s Island again soon. Take care down there in wonderful Oregon! John

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello John... yes you should make a visit to that Richardson Rock Ranch. It is really amazing. There is also a Peterson's Rock Garden south of Redmond, OR (about 35 miles from us) that has buildings, bridges, etc. all built out of rocks. It has been there for years and years. I got to visit it once when I was about 6 years old.. there are pictures of me and my sister there, but I don't even remember visiting it! I need to go again. Am enjoying your posts too as I love that area. I grew up in Portland and lived for 35 years in the Vancouver/Camas, WA area. Love the green and all the water everywhere, and the beautiful snow capped mountains. Take care.. Marilyn

      Delete