Photo of my and signup.

Photo of my and signup.
If you want to subscribe to follow me via Mail Chimp, the signup is in my sidebar or at the bottom of my posts.

Thursday, January 24, 2019

Paleo apricot tea squares - yum!

Apricot Tea Squares
I've been experimenting with not eating grains... not even gluten free rice grains, etc.! It's hard! I have fibromyalgia and I'm trying to see if cutting out all grains and all most sugars will help me to feel better. That's what "everyone" says, right? I started doing this around January 3rd.

So far, I haven't noticed much of a difference, other than I'm CRAVING (my gluten free) bread! I'm not really eating strictly "paleo" as I'm not dairy free (and don't want to be as love my cheese), but I'm really trying very hard to eat NO grains whatsoever, and as little sugar as possible. I use raw local honey in my baking recipes. 

I've been experimenting with some almond flour and/or coconut flour recipes and even ordered a book from Amazon by Elana Amsterdam entitled The Gluten-Free Almond Flour Cookbook by Elana Amsterdam.  She has a Paleo cookbook also. 


I love her website and all of her almond flour and/or coconut flour recipes. I had previously baked her almond flour banana bread which I loved.

Here's the first recipe from her book that I tried:
Absolutely DELICIOUS!  I added nuts and raisins.


Moist, melt in your mouth goodness in every bite! I may have even added a few chocolate chips.... oops sugar! But there was no "added" sugar at all in this recipe.  I can eat these mostly guilt-free.

As I said... I REALLY miss bread..... a nice piece of toast with butter, or a sandwich, or something to soak up the gravy on my plate... so I decided to try to make some sort of paleo flatbread. Elana's cookbook does have a recipe for "sandwich bread" that I'm going to definitely try, and I'll let you know when I do.

My flatbread recipe came from a Bob's Red Mill package of Paleo Baking Flour. I was so surprised to see it sitting on the store shelf! I had been wishing someone would make a grain free "paleo" flour mix and leave it to Bob's Red Mill! They rock! They are actually located here in Oregon.

I was going to use a recipe from Elana's cookbook, but this package had a recipe right on the back for pizza and/or flatbread... so I thought I'd try it!


I did exactly as it said, and it turned out REALLY good. It's not "bread" by any means, but came out flat and soft(ish) so I could spread it with butter and jam (don't think I can toast it though). 

It came out the size of a 12" pizza, so I cut the slices in pie shapes and kept them in a plastic bag in the refrigerator.... used it for several days and even had sandwiches with it! I'm pretty happy with it.

Cup of tea with my flatbread spread with cream cheese? Sounds good to me!

One trouble is........ buying the almond and coconut flours can be VERY expensive. The Bob's Red Mill Paleo Baking flour was $12.99 for the bag. Ouch. So... I won't be eating a whole lot of anything made with almond flour..... it's nice to have it now and then though, when those cravings kick up.  Straight almond flour is spendy too.

See that chocolate cake on the front of the cookbook above? Well... that's probably going to be my next "experiment" with almond flour! Only 7 ingredients in it which I love. She uses agave nectar for sweetener, but I prefer using local raw organic honey. I think it's healthier.

I know cutting out ALL sugar would be awesome and so healthy.. but I'm working at that in a more gradual manner. How can I resist making those wonderful desserts and sweets that all of my fellow bloggers make???

Does anyone else eat grain free? Has it helped your fibro?

~Marilyn~






10 comments:

  1. Oh yes, Marilyn, I have been to Bob's Red Mill quite a few times. It is a very fun place to visit and (oops hate to tell you) "Dave's Killer Bread" is located in their old building right across the street! I hope all your effort pays off soon - the Apricot Squares look delicious - Paleo or not♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no Carrie! Dave's Killer Bread! I think I ate some once before I went totally gluten free a few years ago. I used to "cheat" and eat gluten now and then, but I've learned my lesson now because if I eat ANY, even a little bit added to soup for thickener, I hurt like crazy and feel rotten. I'm working on a nut bread recipe using almond flour and hope it works! Marlyn

      Delete
  2. I so totally understand the diet experiments for health sake - We've tried many in our Lyme Disease journey...Mostly, we have to avoid processed foods/flours, eat low sugar and only use our raw goat milk rather than store milk. Your apricot squares look yummy! I buy Almond Flour in a decent sized bag at Costco for a VERY reasonable price, compared to Bob's....
    Thanks for a lovely read! Pam

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pam... so nice to hear from you! I was just over at your blog yesterday wondering if I had missed a post, but I haven't. You must have moved or are in the process? Was wondering how you are doing and if you've left the farm yet! I avoid almost all processed foods too, totally and try to eat almost all NON-GMO things, organic and real food, made from scratch. Now am trying to eliminate the grains and see if I feel any better. The pain of Fibro can be almost debilitating some days. We never ever drink cow's milk, only almond or coconut milk (all Non-GMO). I'll have to check into the almond flour at Costco. I'm not a member but my sister is. My biggest hurdle is trying to cut out all sugar! That is so hard. I'm using mostly raw local organic honey, but I may eat a few little things that have some sugar in them. Urrgghhh that's to hard! Marilyn

      Delete
  3. Hi Marilyn,
    Glad you are doing so well with adjusting to not eating the sugars and grains. I know a lot of these things do effect inflammation. I am trying to just eat my regular diet less a lot of the carbs and then watching after eating things if my fibromyalgia flares up. Then I know what foods are making the fibromyalgia flare up and eliminating it. This way I can eat things I love and just avoid things that make flare ups worse. I do not get the cravings for things then if I just stick to what I like but eliminate anything that makes the inflammation or pain worse. This auto immune disease is so hard to figure out what will and will not work to make it better. I am doing pretty good with going more natural in treatments for pain and not so much worrying about my diet. Glad you are doing so well with eliminating these things from your diet.
    Hugs,
    Kris

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kris, I'll let you know if I notice anything as time goes by. I did notice the other night that when I ate a gluten free pizza (yup... fell off the wagon of NO grains).... that I hurt like crazy all night and couldn't sleep! Hum.m.m. hadn't eaten a bit of grain of any kind of at least 2 weeks, and then I eat that and BAM. Not sure there's a connection but boy did I feel yucky and hurt! I'm going to be experimenting with some almond flour "sandwich bread" so I can have toast! The things that mostly bother me are preservatives, chemicals, additives, MSG and malodextrin... all the crap that is in processed foods and of course, any sort of gluten, wheat starch, etc. Tomatoes are bothering me now too so guess I won't grow any this summer! xoxo Marilyn

      Delete
  4. I have been having so many problems with auto-immune inflammation. When I was off all white flour and sugar I was almost pain free. It is SO HARD to get back there again after "falling off the wagon". I am thrilled that you are doing so well and have found substitutes that work for you. Lucky you!!! Have a great weekend- xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes NanaDiana, is is SO hard to stay away from those things that taste so good and bring us comfort. I grew up on the "comfort food" of home baked (wheat) breads, rolls, sticky buns, cakes, pies, etc. and lots of desserts and sugar! So hard to get away from it as we want that comfort! I do feel much better without even the grains. I've eaten totally gluten free for 5 years at least, and didn't realize those "grains" could also be causing inflammation and problems with the immune system! I think it's a slow process to feeling better. I'm still not totally "off" sugar yet! Marilyn

      Delete
  5. Your post was inspiring hearing how well you are doing to eliminate the foods that may be a problem for your health issues. While grains do not seem to bother me I do know sugar is my worst enemy. I have done well in the past by eliminating sugar or anything that turns to sugar but I've slowly come back to eating sugar, not too much but enough that I do notice a difference.
    Why is it so hard to let go of the things that make us miserable? I don't know, but I struggle with it.
    As to your question do we know of anyone who has changed their diet with fibromyalgia? When I worked with hospice I had a client who was quite crippled up with her Fibromyalgia she too had to watch her diet, she eliminated all grains sugars and things that turn to sugar she felt much better by not eating those things. That was years ago and they didn't have all the gluten-free grain-free foods that they have now so it wasn't that easy.
    Your flat bread looks real good by the way.
    Have a great weekend ~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your reply Debbie. My sister has fibromyalgia too, and she has been eating totally "paleo" for the last few months, and she said she really doesn't notice much different in her pain levels.. she is also not eating much sugar, but I think she still eats processed foods, and I think they are also a big cause of our auto-immune problems. It is so hard to stay away from wheats, grains and sugar, because they are our "comfort" foods. I grew up with them as so many of us have.. and the desserts, and cakes, pies, rolls. homemade breads, etc. were all so very comforting and meant "love" in our hearts from our mom. That's why I need to continue to bake! But at least using almond flour, coconut flour and raw honey can hopefully keep me feeling a little better, and still allow me to eat some comfort type foods. The flatbread WAS very good and I"m going to make more very soon! Marilyn

      Delete